Signs You Need an Electrical Panel Replacement

It’s not always easy to know whether you need an electrical panel replacement or upgrade. Here are a few things to watch out for.

First, you need to look at the size of the panel, especially if you live in an older home. If the panel is 100 amps you’re probably due for an upgrade.

Remember, we use a lot more electricity today than people used to use even a few decades ago. Today, it’s much more appropriate to have a 200 amp panel in your home.

If your panel has the old screw-type fuses then you probably should consider an upgrade. Theoretically these fuses should work okay, but they often house fuses that have been improperly sized.

Furthermore, these are almost always the smaller 100 amp panels. Again they may not be up to the demands of a modern home.

Next, look at your panel’s brand. Three brands in particular are demonstrably unsafe. These are Zinsco, Pushmatic, and Federal Pacific.

Several of these companies are now out of business because they couldn’t meet safety standards. All of them have huge design flaws which have caused fires in other homes in the past.

There are, of course, some additional warning signs to pay attention to. If your light flickers frequently or your circuit breakers trip a lot you could have an electrical panel problem.

There are also some important emergency signals to look out for. If your panel is sparking, buzzing, or hot to the touch then it’s time to get some immediate help from a qualified electrician.

If you live in Pittsboro, Hillsboro, or elsewhere in the Raleigh-Durham area then consider calling our 24/7 emergency hotline. We’ll get there fast so your family and home will remain safe.

Scroll to Top