Right about now, people all over the Raleigh-Durham area are starting to put up their Christmas decorations. We’re looking forward to seeing them!
But we also want to make sure that everyone is having a safe holiday season. You see, the US Fire Administration reports that 1 in every 3 home Christmas tree fires is caused by electrical problems.
When you’re getting ready to put your Christmas lights on your tree make sure you check them for shorts, frayed wires, and other hazards. A lot can happen in storage, so don’t assume they are okay this year just because they were okay last year.
Second, make sure you have a well-watered tree if you’re going to use a natural tree. The most dangerous trees are dry trees that can’t resist fires!
You can watch the difference on this YouTube video. It’s pretty scary!
In 22 seconds the dry tree has almost the entire living room on fire. In 53 seconds the wet tree still has a small fire that could easily be put out by a fire extinguisher (do you have one)?
A flame-retardant pre-lit tree is safest of all, of course, and you don’t have to throw it out when you’re done with it. As long as you store it properly you might save some money with that kind of tree as well.
You also want to keep heat sources well away from your Christmas tree. That means keeping it away from fire places, heaters, space heaters, and candles. In fact, open flame is a bad idea to begin with–try battery operated candles instead.
Is your wiring ready for the holiday season? Why not find out with a free estimate from The House Doctors Electrical Division? If you live in Pittsboro, Hillsborough, Carrboro or anywhere else in the Triangle area we’re ready to help you!