Here at The House Doctors we are very interested in doing whatever we can to promote home safety. As electricians, fires are on our minds a lot.
As it happens, bathroom exhaust fans often do cause house fires. When we were reminded of this fact we decided that we wanted to take a moment to share that information with you, as well.
There are 3 common scenarios.
Scenario 1: Bad Wiring
The first, obvious cause for bathroom fan fires is bad wiring. We’ve covered some of the warning signs of bad wiring before.
And while we’ve given you information on how to perform a few simple DIY installations we also want to note that it may be better to hire a professional if any installation gets too complicated. As many dedicated DIYers know, sometimes home renovation comes with surprises.
Scenario 2: Running the Fan Constantly
You should run the fan for about 20 minutes during and after a bath or shower. That will help the fan fulfill its intended purpose of controlling moisture in your bathroom. You should not, however, leave the fan on 24/7.
If you run the fan constantly the ball bearings inside will lock up. This can cause the motor to overheat, which can, in turn, cause a fire.
Scenario 3: Failing to Clean the Fan
Dust and lint do get caught in these fans. These can ignite if they aren’t cleared away on a regular basis.
Fortunately, bathroom exhaust fans are pretty easy to clean. You can simply attack the vents with blasts of canned air until the fan is clean and clear. Do this once a month to keep your fans safe.
Old fans are a hazard! Don’t be afraid to replace a fan that is past its time. Your bathroom will thank you, and your home will be safer.
Need to install a new bathroom fan? Afraid the wiring in your home isn’t up to par? Call the House Doctors! We’ve provided excellent electrical service to Chapel Hill, Cary, and the rest of the Raleigh-Durham area for over 25 years, and we can help you, too.